Diabetes Services

Diabetes is a condition that may lead to blindness, amputation, kidney failure, and death if not treated properly. Gibbs Pharmacy is dedicated to providing tools that may prevent complications resulting from diabetes.

Glucose meters and supplies

Our pharmacy carries a wide selection of meters and supplies that fit each diabetic patient's needs. Our staff, including Sara Perry and Shelby Thorne, have specialized training in caring for the specific needs of diabetics and can provide meter training if needed.

Sara Perry and Shelby Thorne, Gibbs Pharmacy's trained Diabetes Paraprofessionals, are available by appointment to counsel patients on meter training and use. They are both trained Medicare billing specialists, and are knowledgeable of the Medicare requirements for paid services. We currently provide the Glucocard Expression meter for our Medicare patients. Medicare will pay for 80 percent of the testing supply costs. If a patient has a supplemental medical insurance, it will take care of the other 20 percent. Our trained staff teaches each patient how to properly use this meter. The meter is very user friendly. The meter will say the blood glucose reading out loud, which is great for those that are visually impaired. The meter keeps the patients blood glucose log, but can also be imported and sent to the physicians office. This is a seamless way to assure that the physician and Medicare are on the same page as the pharmacy and the patient.

Diabetic shoes

Patients can call our store 615-449-3355 and ask for Sara to schedule a one-on-one meeting.Diabetic shoes Shelby has been trained by the Doctor Comfort experts in the fitting of diabetic shoes. She may assist each patient in selecting a pair of shoes from many styles and colors. Remember, Medicare pays for one pair of specially designed shoes with a diagnosis of diabetes. Therapeutic shoe fitting are appointments only.

Diabetes monitoring

Gibbs Pharmacy offers complimentary glucose testing via glucose monitors to interested parties. Hemoglobin A1C tests are also available. This valuable tool measures glucose levels over a period of 3 months. Fasting is not required. This test is not covered on insurance in the pharmacy. The charge is $30.00.

Diabetes education

Sara, Shelby, and Kimberly Maxey, PharmD offer specialized diabetes education courses to patients of all ages. Kim has constructed a curriculum following the American Association of Diabetes Education guidelines to teach our patients hows to manage their condition. We have seen many patients who have lowered A1Cs and report success from their new healthy lifestyle at the completion of the course. We document each encounter, monitor the patients needs, and follow up with their healthcare provider about the patient's care plan. Our education program also offers online support with recipes and exercise resources powered by StrandRx. The Gibbs Pharmacy educators offer in-store grocery shopping guidance, neuropathy support, pre-diabetes education, and local health and wellness resources. Many endocrinologists require a diabetes education course as a prerequisite to your first office visit. If you are in need of diabetes education, please request a written prescription and you labs from your primary care physician and give us a call. We will find the perfect day that works for you!

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 4.51.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 4.51.24 PM.png